What Police State Legislation Looks Like
"Authoritarianism" in the United States?
- Forbid interrogators from telling the person of their right to remain silent.
- Forbid interrogators from telling the person of their right to legal counsel.
- Deny the person habeas corpus protection (the government cannot keep a person in custody without charge).
- Do all the above not only to a person suspected of a crime, but also to a person who may know about a possible future crime.
- "An individual who is suspected...shall not, during interrogation...be informed of any rights...to counsel or to remain silent consistent with Miranda v. Arizona."
- "An individual, including a citizen of the United States...may be detained without criminal charges and without trial..."
- It even says that a citizen can be designated a suspect based on "[s]uch other matters as the President considers appropriate."